MRes Robotics and BSc Robotics (Honours) 1st class.
D.O.B: 28th November 1984
Address: Chippenham. Wiltshire. SN15 2RB
Email: npoate (a t) hotmail dotty com
Full clean UK driving licence
With a technological mind, I am able to take the initiative when designing, building and testing products I create, with the ability to self teach subjects required for specific tasks, such as CAD and programming languages. I am committed and focused on the task given, also able to self motivate and manage tasks by myself without the need for instruction. I enjoy getting involved with heavy duty tasks and workloads. I enjoy getting stuck in to a project and developing it into a final product.
Skills and Achievements
Practical skills and application.
- Building and entering a robot for BBC’s Robot Wars. This was televised in January 2002.
- Active member of RepRap 3D Printer community, designing and building own printers.
- Designed and constructed a wirelessly operated robotic arm, and a robotic entertainment platform to capture biofeedback and gesture control of the user.
- Qualified as Level 1 City of Guilds TIG welding.
- Building Fibreglass moulds and animatronic models using silicone and 3D printed structures.
- Worked with Pneumatic control of various robots.
- Working with mechatronics, servo motors, relays, and automation parts for animatronics.
Programming and problem solving.
- Programming software and hardware including Java, C++, C, PIC Basic, FPGA Quartus V2 VHDL, PLC, PonyProg, Arduino, PicAxe and 8051 microcontrollers.
- Knowledgeable of Solidworks, Google Sketchup and other 3D design software – self taught.
- Industrial robotic arm control and calibration of Mitsibushi and Umi robot arms.
Circuit designing and construction.
- Using industrial design software and equipment to design and build TH and SMT PCB’s.
- Designing and building 2 and 4 layer motherboard and power supply PCB for use in the University of Plymouth’s humanoid bipedal robots which are now used as teaching aids.
- Building custom projects including interfaces for digital artists.
Team working and initiative.
- Working with lecturers and staff in various team roles and developing the bipedal robot used for teaching at the University of Plymouth, attending meetings and planning sessions.
- Working in teams in ASDA and Sainsbury’s running the bakery and in McDonald’s as a crew member taking on a variety of roles.
- Teaching classes of 2nd year and final year undergraduate students in practical sessions on industrial robotics.
- As a Student Ambassador, effectively promoted the University of Plymouth.
- Attending large events including MCM Expo and Explore @Bristol to demonstrate and communicate technology and robotics to business members and the public.
- As with my posts within the university, I am required to speak to potential applicants in a professional helpful manner, on the phone and in person.
City College Plymouth (CoG Level 1 TIG Welding) Summer 2010.
Trained to level 1 standards of TIG welding.
University of Plymouth (MRes Robotics at Merit) Sept 07-Sept 09.
Thesis based upon developing interactive robotics and sound controllers.
University of Plymouth (BSc (Hons) Robotics) 05-07 – direct entry to stage 2.
1st Class award with honours. Final year project was to develop a wirelessly operated Robotic arm for film and TV. Transferred from Portsmouth University (04-05).
Portsmouth College (A/As levels) 01-03
- A level: Design B, Engineering Maths E, Drama C, General Studies B.
- AS levels: ICT D, Media Studies B, and General Studies A.
City of Portsmouth Boys’ School (GCSE)
English (Lit) A (B), Mathematics B and Science BB.
Aardman Animations – Shaun the Sheep Ltd, Mechanical Engineer for Shaun the Sheep Movie. Nov. 2013 – present.
- Mechanical, Motion Control and Robotics engineer working with Bridgeport Mill, Harrison Lathe and other equipment.
- Designing, building, prototyping various plates for camera rigs.
- Installing, maintaining and repairing motion control equipment for filming shoot.
Crane Merchandising Systems Ltd, Associate Mechatronic Engineer. Nov. 2011 – Oct. 2013.
- Research and development of new technologies
- Test new products
- Problem solving current production part issues and quality
- PLC, 5S, Kaisan, 5 whys.
University of Plymouth, Customer services assistant, Course Enquiries. Jan 11 Oct 2011.
- Being the first port of call for Enquirers at the University of Plymouth.
- Data entry into the university database concerning admission and course enquiries.
University of Plymouth, Various Customer services positions. Faculty of Arts Admissions Assistant and customer services Assistant. Feb 10 – Jan 11. Exams Moderator for degree exams.
University of Plymouth, Technical Consultant for University of Plymouth. May 07-August 07.
University of Plymouth, Teaching Assistant for Industrial Robotics. Sept. 06-May 07.
University of Plymouth, Student Ambassador. Sept. 06-Sept. 09
Sainsbury’s, Plymouth. Bakery Assistant. ASDA, Fareham. Bakery Assistant.
McDonald’s PLC, Fareham. Crew Member.
Voluntary Work Experience.
Machine Shop. Park Royal, London. Aug 10.
Hobbies and interests
I enjoy socialising, bowling, and ice skating. I am learning to surf and bodyboard. I fly radio controlled helicopters. I am an active member in the RepRap open source 3D printing community, using my equipment to develop moving animatronics. I also develop electronic circuits for hobby, commercial and custom requests, mechanical designs and puppetry / animatronics.
Available on request